Reignfyre Recovery

A record of a womans recovery throught addiction. Primarily food addiction using the 12 steps of OA (Overeaters Anonymous). Also includes recovery from sex and love, drug and alcohol addiction.

Saturday, June 02, 2007

My name is Amy, and I am a very grateful, recovering compulsive overeater and food addict, brought to my knees and having found desperation, I am gratefully abstinent & in recovery today.
This How it works passage is so amazing to me. I don't think I will ever have 100% complete honesty with myself, God, or my fellows...but I try. The more I work the program, the more honest I become. It really does work. There are more layers to this onion than I could even concieve of so I don't bother trying too, I just peel the layer I am on. Like with most onions I shed some tears, but fortunately I love onions! There is sweetness there too.
My first time around in OA I truly was one of the failures. The only thing I did right was come to meetings....but after awhile I gave up on that too. I did not work the steps, I never put down the food, I did not befriend the abstinent, only the bingers like me, I just did not work the program. I gained weight in OA and my food spun out of control.
This time around in OA I was desperate to recover. I had to be put on my knees with nowhere else to go, backed into a corner, before I was willing to follow the "suggestions" of the program. The BB wisdom is so brilliant...no requirements....just "suggestions". They knew my addict brain would rebel against requirements. The truth is however, that if you want the promises of the program, you MUST follow the suggestions. Half measures avail us nothing. I needed to have the wind knocked out of me before I would follow the suggestions given. I came back to OA desperate enough to follow, and behold, I have the promises. There is nothing special about me, all are called, few CHOOSE to answer the call, but all can.
Today I am one of the winners. I greet & befriend newcomers, because they keep me green. I share what I have with those who are currently unable to put down the food, because I I need to share recovery in order to keep it. I stick with the winners when it comes to working my program, because I want to continue being one of them.
When I was morbidly obese I used to ask my fellow obese dieters what they were doing. I heard a man, I think it was Covert Bailey, talk about this phenomenon. He said words to the effect that, if you are fat and want to be thin....don't ask what a fat person does to lose weight, ask what a thin person does not to gain it!"
OA is like that for me. I ask and do what those who have abstinence and have maintained it longer than me do. Then I do it!! It has worked for me so far. I am saddened when, in my f2f meetings, I see people share the same share, week after week, never realizing they are doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results. This is the definition of insanity. I can only share my ESH and pray they keep coming back until they have the strength to follow the suggestions. But I do not allow myself to dwell in the problem with them, I instead to live in the solution.
Thank you for reading,

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

So to follow your advice, what are you doing? :^)

4:25 AM  
Blogger Reignfyre said...

I attend at least one meeting every day. On the weekends I may attend 2 or 3 online. I got to all f2f meetings available.
I have a sponsor I email my food to daily and I call her once a week.
I made a list of binge foods and I refrain from eating all of them.
I limit how much I eat by measuring fatty & high caloric foods or counting calories until such time as I reach a "normal" weight. I must modify my intake of food to do so.
I eat healthy foods in moderate portion sizes and make sure I combine all sugary foods (the only "sugary foods" I eat are fruit) with protein and or fat. In other words, I do not allow my blood sugar to spike by eating just a bannana. I eat a bannana with my meal or with peanut butter to balance out the sugar. (All natural peanuts ground up with no salt or sugar).
I give lots and lots of service!!!!
I am a keyholder at meetings, leader at meetings online & f2f. I sponsor. I start meetings. I email my fellow sufferers and call them. I write this blog (anonymously). Lots of service to get out of myself and to get program in!
I work the steps and share what I learn.
Meetings, sponsor, food plan, email & telephone calls, service, anonymity, writing. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm Looks familiar doesn't it. OMG! i use all the tools!!!! Food plan, meetings & sponsor are absolutes for me when one is starting the program. Your sponsor will help you work the steps but without a sponsor how can you even start??? Make it up as you go along? My self will got me to 450 lbs. It sure never got me out. So get a sponsor with more experience than you, develop a food plan and follow it. Go to lots of meetings to reinforce your recovery! Good luck!

Love,

Amy

6:24 PM  
Blogger Foodfairy said...

Hi Reign, I'm just catching up on blogs coz I was sick last night. I don't really understand what you are saying here. When I first started wtih OA I was afraid to share or reach out to others who were hurting because I thought that it would be arrogant and unhelpful of me to do so. But when I read about Principles Before Personalities, I got the impression it meant that HP can use anyone to reach anyone else, regardless of their success or failure and their lenght of time in the program. This gave me the courage to speak out and get active. Am I wrong in this interpretation? As a seasoned member, what do you feel is appropriate or inappropriate for a struggling new member to do?

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home