Reignfyre Recovery

A record of a womans recovery throught addiction. Primarily food addiction using the 12 steps of OA (Overeaters Anonymous). Also includes recovery from sex and love, drug and alcohol addiction.

Monday, May 28, 2007

What happened?

About 3 years later I was still the same weight but feeling more sane. I knew I had a problem but I just wasn’t sure what to do about it. I still purchased every weight loss product and book ever made. I purchased the latest Dr. Phil Weight Loss Solution book. I determined it would take 21/2 years to lose the necessary weight. I set about it determined to succeed.

I did well for awhile and lost about 170lbs. The first 100 weren’t even hard. Not eating several thousand calories a day and working for a living did that! But then it started to get hard and I started feeling deprived. I had no support system either, no one who understood what I was going through. I started eating “healthy” desserts. Within weeks I was gaining and gaining big. I saw a doctor during this time and was diagnosed with Fibromylgia. This was good news; it was not lupus, which was what my doctors thought I originally had. Lupus and Fibromylgia are really the same disease but with one important distinction, you will die early with Lupus, but not with Fibromylgia. My doctor told me that I could do things to manage my pain and depression, but that she expected me to live a normal life span. I was shocked. I had thought for a decade I was going to die early, so why bother. Now my back was against the wall. I was going to live a normal life span? Only if I took care of myself. I needed to do something. I did some research on the Fibromylgia and discovered that people who had it and went on wheat free diets suffered less pain. This was a happy accident that will come into play later.

I had a knew job but the job provided free lunches everyday….and I was in charge of handling the food. I was a coe/fa out of control and in charge of food for 15 people. I gained weight back up to 333lbs. I didn’t know what to do. Two things happened back to back that helped me greatly.

First, I found a book written by a food addict. It was the best book I had ever read on food addiction and she had a specific diet she said all food addicts should follow. The diet was too strict for me I thought. But it was the first time I ever heard anyone say that wheat & flour was a problem for people. I knew about the sugar, but wheat and food addiction. This might help my Fibromylgia I thought. Maybe the two were connected? While I just couldn’t bring myself to work her diet, I gained great comfort from her addiction model.
The same day I bought this book I was listening to the Howard Stern show. He was interviewing a comedian who had her own reality show. Her husband was a big part of the show and he had lost over 100lbs between seasons. Howard wanted to know how? The comedian said her husband was now a member of OA. OA?? I remember them….it seemed like a distant memory. I remembered enough to know this woman had just broken his anonymity. I also knew I had some old OA literature downstairs in the basement. Maybe OA could help me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home