Reignfyre Recovery

A record of a womans recovery throught addiction. Primarily food addiction using the 12 steps of OA (Overeaters Anonymous). Also includes recovery from sex and love, drug and alcohol addiction.

Thursday, May 17, 2007

This is a response to my sponsee regarding fear of taking step 3. I thought it was important to post because sometimes....I fail to take my own advice!! And I need it!!

You are right to take step 3 so seriously. In the OA 12 & 12 it says once we take step 3.....we cannot fail to recover. That is because once we truly put ourselves in our HP's hand....we WILL cease to eat compulsively, eat harmful foods, overeat, etc. That is because it is NEVER our HP's Will that we harm ourselves, or others.
That doesn't mean we won't occasionally make errors in judgment. We are human...we our not God. We WILL make mistakes. We WILL take our will back occasionally. But the big picture is that we will recover if we continually give our will over to our Higher Power.
Do you know the original definition of sin?? It is not to violate God....which is not even possible. "Sin" is an archery term taken over by religion. It means "to miss the mark". That is how I view my recovery. I AM in recovery. Occasionally I will "miss the mark", make an error in judgment, a mistake. My job as a woman in recovery is not to be perfect and never make an error....it is to recognize when I DO make an error (which is inevitable...so why worry about it!), and then correct my thinking as quickly as possible. As time continues I become better and better at recognizing my errors, correcting them better, and even become quicker at doing so. Sometimes I recognize that I am about to make an error in judgment and turn towards my HP BEFORE I make the error. This is great cause for celebration as it is growth. But I do not cover this remarkable achievement with the mistaken belief that I will never sin or miss the mark again. I will, but I have the map to find my way back to my HP. What do I need perfection for when I have the guaranteed safety of the map that shows the steps back to my HP? I am safe and free to explore this world in any way I want. I can always find my way back. Of course if I take a path in the brambles I may show up a little worse for wear....but it is my CHOICE to make any error I please. My HP will always be waiting for me....my HP does not move, my HP does not hide, my HP wants me always to be safe, loved, happy, whole, and at peace. My HP will do anything possible within the boundaries of the laws of this Universe (which she designed) to lead me back home. In fact, I cannot but find the way home. The only choice I have is how long and painful the journey will be.
How long and how painful will your journey be??
Hugs,
Amy

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home