Reignfyre Recovery

A record of a womans recovery throught addiction. Primarily food addiction using the 12 steps of OA (Overeaters Anonymous). Also includes recovery from sex and love, drug and alcohol addiction.

Monday, May 28, 2007

When I moved out on my own I was able to eat unlimited quantities of food without any repercussions, so I thought. I became so heavy I developed serious foot and knee problems. The fatty pads on my heels tore open and I could barely walk. I wasn’t even 25, and I was walking with a cane. I lived by myself on the third floor of an apartment building. It was all I could do to haul myself up the stairs. Taking up bags of groceries became out of the question. I could no longer clean my apartment either. It became a disaster area. I stood long enough only to do dishes for the current meal. Usually I only cooked cheap pasta dishes out of desperation. I would eat an entire box of pasta for a meal. It wouldn’t even fill me. But I did that only when there were no credit cards to charge on. What I preferred was to call a take out delivery service that would pick up one or two meals at 2 or 3 of my favorite restaurants. They would bring them to me and I would just charge it….easy. They even came with their own bags for the garbage it created…that was why I parked near the garbage dump. I was too heavy to stand after awhile and food just rotted in my apartment. Maggots and cockroaches soon followed. My bathtub developed a clog that wouldn’t clear and the toilet broke. I was too embarrassed to have maintanence come and fix it. After all, I was too fat to clean the apartment. I developed a very smelly foot fungus that ran people from the room. My armpits smelled like sour bread from all the flour & sugar I ate as it decomposed and rotted in my body. My liver could no longer process the toxins out of my body. I didn’t see doctors anymore. I became angry and infuriated every time they suggested the obvious… I should lose weight. Were they stupid….if I could I would. Did they think I was stupid? Did they think I didn’t know I was fat?
Truth be told I had no idea how bad the situation had gotten. If someone snuck a photograph of me I would stare in disbelief and horror. Who was that blob in the photograph. That couldn’t be me. I was disfigured beyond recognition. Where was that pretty but chubby girl of my youth? She was gone, smothered by unlimited quantities of fat and sugar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home