Reignfyre Recovery

A record of a womans recovery throught addiction. Primarily food addiction using the 12 steps of OA (Overeaters Anonymous). Also includes recovery from sex and love, drug and alcohol addiction.

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Being abstinent & working the 12 step program gives me integrity. My informal definition of integrity is: doing what I said I was going to do, and not doing what I said I wasn't going to do. But I decided to look up the definition of integrity in the dictionary to see if I was operating within the same framework. 1. Rigid adherence to a code of behavior; probity. I didn't like that definition so much. As an addict I am very naturally an all or nothing, black or white thinker. That kind of rigidity can be dangerous for me. If I think like that, and I make a mistake, then I might as well throw in the towell & give up because I screwed up. Hmmmmmmm, definition 2 might be better. The state of being unimpaired; soudness. Now that is what I am looking for. As an addict I need to be off ALL of my drugs so that I can be sane and clear headed. If I am using any drug I am impaired. Let's check out the 3rd definition. Completeness, unity, purity. That is what I hope to get out of working the 12 step program. Unity of my emotion, mind, body & spirit. Purity of spirit & completeness and wholeness within my life. Working the steps gives me integrity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home